Training the Trainers
Training the Trainers is a series of ongoing workshops that are run by Wikimedia UK with the aim of giving volunteers the ability to teach others in how to contribute to the Wikimedia projects. WMUK's trainers are there to provide training for others, and they lead many training events across the UK.
As an illustration, a standard Train the Trainers course focuses on enabling the participants to develop and deliver high quality training which draws on their own skills and expertise.
By the end of the course the participants are able to:
- Set training objectives and structure a session with appropriate material to meet those objectives
- Present information clearly to different audiences and use visual aids effectively
- Identify ways to make the sessions interactive and participative and deal with questions
As a part of the course participants also receive an hour long 1-1 telephone feedback. This provides the opportunity to discuss performance and reactions to the course privately. It promotes intense reflection and rounded learning.
The participants are also able to:
- Recognise the importance of diversity in the training context
- Respond appropriately to the needs of volunteer trainers
- Understand the impact of different learning and communication styles when designing and delivering training
- Use active listening to guide their interaction with participants
- Give effective and appropriate feedback to other participants
Some of our volunteers who already attended Train the Trainers are:
|Approximate distribution of trained trainers in the United Kingdom|
For more information, see the following pages:
The programme has been reviewed in 2013, which resulted in a series of proposed recommendations.