Training the Trainers/July 2016 event
This free event is for volunteers who want to take a leading role in Wikimedia UK's training programme. For initial queries contact karla.martewikimedia.org.uk.
Curious about what is involved in being a Wikimedia UK trainer? Have a look at this draft role description.
Where and when
The workshop will take place on the weekend of 30-31st July in London, and it will be run by a professional training organisation. This session is targeted at volunteers in London and the immediate surrounding areas.
The timings of the event are: Saturday 9:30am — 6:30pm, Sunday 9am — 5pm. Lunch will be provided; we are also planning a social dinner after the training on Saturday. It is vital that you do not miss the start of the training session, so before confirming your availability please do make sure you can make the start time of the training. We are able to cover travel and accommodation, if we receive advance notice of this.
The event is open to anyone who can make a credible commitment to support Wikimedia UK training in future: it will be a strong advantage to have already been involved in training. We are particularly keen to hear from people based in London, who haven't been involved with our organisation in the past, but are very interested in supporting our training and editing events.
Interested but not sure if this event is for you? Hear from the past participants here.
The workshop is a chance for you to:
- Get accredited and receive detailed feedback about your presenting and training skills
- Get general trainer skills which you can then apply when delivering specific Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons workshops etc.
- Share your skills with others
- Develop the ability to help design a training programme that serves Wikimedia UK in the long term
Places are limited to make sure that each participant gets individual attention and feedback, so please sign up below to express your interest.
The course focuses on enabling the participants to develop and deliver high quality training which draws on their own skills and expertise. You can then apply these skills whenever you run a training session. Note that this is about training, not presenting, so we will not be focusing on developing content of presentations on e.g. Wikipedia. This will be provided separately if you need it.
By the end of the course the participants will be able to:
- Set training objectives and structure a session with appropriate material to meet those objectives
- Present information clearly to different audiences and use visual aids effectively
- Identify ways to make the sessions interactive and participative and deal with questions
As a part of the course you will also be receiving an hour long 1-1 telephone feedback. This provides the opportunity to discuss your performance and reactions to the course privately. It promotes intense reflection and rounded learning.
The participants will also be able to:
- Recognise the importance of diversity in the training context
- Respond appropriately to the needs of volunteer trainers
- Understand the impact of different learning and communication styles when designing and delivering training
- Use active listening to guide their interaction with participants
- Give effective and appropriate feedback to other participants
Sign up here
Please tell us about your training background (inside or outside Wikimedia) and knowledge of Wikimedia projects (it's not a problem if you don't have any). Please also provide an email address or username through which you can be contacted. We will be contacting you closer to the date of the event to confirm your place.
This training represents an investment by Wikimedia, so the decision will be made on the basis of how credibly each individual can commit to delivering future events. This is not a first-come, first-served list: the order in which people add themselves is of no significance.
You can also email karla.martewikimedia.org.uk to mark your interest.
Please also let us know if the date does not suit you; we will be running future sessions.
Spaces for 12 places
Interested but the date doesn't suit
The venue is the Wikimedia UK office, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
Wikimedia UK will reimburse accommodation costs for those that need it, please make Wikimedia UK aware of this in advance.
The training will take place in a room arranged in a classroom layout. There will be two flip charts with pens, a screen, and a projector. Refreshments will be provided. There will be free WiFi.