Training the Trainers/July 2017 event
This event is for volunteers who want to take a leading role as a trainer in the Wikimedia movement. This will be a mixed event both for UK participants, and also prospective trainers from other Wikimedia chapters.
For initial queries contact richard.nevellwikimedia.org.uk.
Curious about what is involved in being a Wikimedia UK trainer? Have a look at the role description.
Where and when
The workshop will take place on the weekend of 4-5th July in Edinburgh, and it will be run by a professional training organisation.
The timings of the event are: Tuesday 9:30am — 6:30pm, Wednesday 9am — 5pm. Lunch will be provided; we are also planning a social dinner after the training on Tuesday. It is vital that you do not miss the start of the training session, so before confirming your availability please do make sure you can make the start time of the training. We are able to cover travel and accommodation for the UK participants, if we receive advance notice of this.
The event is open to anyone who can make a credible commitment to support Wikimedia UK training in future (or to their home chapters if coming from outside of the UK). It will also be a strong advantage to have already been involved in training. We are particularly keen to hear from people based outside of London, who haven't been involved with our organisation in the past, but are very interested in supporting our training and editing events.
Interested but not sure if this event is for you? Hear from the past participants here.
The workshop is a chance for you to:
- Get accredited and receive detailed feedback about your presenting and training skills
- Get general trainer skills which you can then apply when delivering specific Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons workshops etc.
- Share your skills with others
- Develop the ability to help design a training programme that serves Wikimedia UK in the long term
Places are limited to make sure that each participant gets individual attention and feedback, so please sign up below to express your interest.
The course focuses on enabling the participants to develop and deliver high quality training which draws on their own skills and expertise. You can then apply these skills whenever you run a training session. Note that this is about training, not presenting, so we will not be focusing on developing content of presentations on e.g. Wikipedia. This will be provided separately if you need it.
By the end of the course the participants will be able to:
- Set training objectives and structure a session with appropriate material to meet those objectives
- Present information clearly to different audiences and use visual aids effectively
- Identify ways to make the sessions interactive and participative and deal with questions
As a part of the course you will also be receiving an hour long 1-1 telephone feedback. This provides the opportunity to discuss your performance and reactions to the course privately. It promotes intense reflection and rounded learning.
The participants will also be able to:
- Recognise the importance of diversity in the training context
- Respond appropriately to the needs of volunteer trainers
- Understand the impact of different learning and communication styles when designing and delivering training
- Use active listening to guide their interaction with participants
- Give effective and appropriate feedback to other participants
Sign up here
Please tell us about your training background (inside or outside Wikimedia) and knowledge of Wikimedia projects (it's not a problem if you don't have any). Please also provide an email address or username through which you can be contacted. We will be contacting you closer to the date of the event to confirm your place.
This training represents an investment by Wikimedia, so the decision will be made on the basis of how credibly each individual can commit to delivering future events. This is not a first-come, first-served list: the order in which people add themselves is of no significance.
You can also email richard.nevellwikimedia.org.uk to mark your interest.
Please also let us know if the date does not suit you; we will be running future sessions.
Spaces for 12 places
Interested but the date doesn't suit
Wikimedia UK will reimburse accommodation costs for the UK participants that need it, please make Wikimedia UK aware of this in advance.