TaPRA Wikipedia Workshop February 2014
|Wikimedia UK education projects|
|Annual Conference — Campus Ambassadors – Student Societies — Schools — Committee — VLE|
About the event[edit | edit source]
This workshop for TaPRA members will provide an introduction to writing/editing articles on Wikipedia, as well as other basic training for new Wikipedians. Access to the building is restricted, so registration is essential.
- How do I prepare?
- Sign up for the event via Eventbrite now open until 27 January 2014
- Create a Wikipedia account - SIGNUP HERE
- Bring a laptop (wi-fi will be provided)
- Refreshments will be provided throughout the day
How to get there[edit | edit source]
The event takes place at the V&A Museum Reading Room, Blythe House, 23 Blythe Rd, London W14 0QX. This location is in Kensington Olympia. (map)
- The easiest way to get there is either on the London Underground (Kensington on the District Line) or London Overground (Kensington (Olympia)).
- Blythe House is also within relatively easy walking distance (approx. 15 mins) from the Shepherd's Bush Station (Central Line) or the Hammersmith Station (Circle Line + Hammersmith and City Line) or Baron's Court (Piccadilly Line).
- If you prefer to take the bus, you'll be aiming for High Street Kensington Station on one of the following route numbers: 9, 27, 28, or 10, depending on your point of origin.
Programme[edit | edit source]
The day will be divided into two parts:
- An introductory session about Wikipedia and sharing knowledge on the Internet. This will be followed by a practical session of Basic Wikipedia training.
- Lunch break
- An exploration of ways to contribute to Wikimedia other than by writing encyclopedia articles (e.g. sharing images; rendering structure data in visual form; giving research a suitable license). This part of the workshop includes a Q&A and more hands‐on Wikipedia editing, which will essentially lead into an editathon of pages of interest to TaPRA members.
Attendees[edit | edit source]
- Vanessa Bartlett
- David Bennett
- Cara Davies
- Kate Dorney
- Barbara Droth
- Joseph Dunne
- Mads Floor Andersen
- Rebecca O'Neill
- Simon Sladen
- Ella Paremain
Trainers[edit | edit source]
- Katherine Bavage (see also User:Leela0808 on en.wikipedia.org + TALK TO ME + SIMPLIFIED HELP)
- Toni Sant (see also User:ToniSant on en.wikipedia.org + TALK TO ME + SIMPLIFIED HELP)
Content that could be improved[edit | edit source]
- Improving articles related to theatre and performance research activities.
- Creating new articles or improving existing articles about related topics.
- Using photographs or scans of items from appropriate collections to improve coverage of relevant topics.
These are some suggestions for articles that attendees might like to focus on, or which might provide inspiration for other relevant articles.
- TaPRA article
- Relevant articles
- Notable publications
- Contemporary Theatre Review
- International Journal of Performance Arts and Digital Media
- New Theatre Quarterly
- Performance Research
- Studies in Theatre and Performance
- The Drama Review
- Notable people
- David Bradby
- José Esteban Muñoz
- Glynne Wickham
- Phillip Zarrilli
- Desktop Theater
- Goat Island (performance group)
- Notable venues